Life, Beauty, Skin Care, Health, Wellness and Rejuvenation

Life, Beauty, Skin Care, Health, Wellness and Rejuvenation

This blog is for men and women of all ages who are in to beauty , skin care , health and wellness. For those who want to feel refreshed and rejuvenated. For those who love and enjoy life itself, may we feel satisfied and fulfilled by Christ's blessings from up above while enjoying the richness of life on this earth.













Friday, December 31, 2010

A Crash Course - Korea 101

This article is dedicated to my friend, Kaye, who got hooked up into Korean shows, actors, singers, bands, and now make-up and skin care from Korea. She was one of the two people who insisted and persuaded me to blog, so I dedicate this one to her.


I lived in Busan, Korea for almost two years. Had been to a few of the places there such as Incheon, Daegu, Cheongju (I think) and the big city Seoul.

When I was there, these are some of the things I found out about Korea:


I. FOOD - totally and absulutely different from what we Filipinos eat. They always have kimchi with whatever meal they have. I like the taste of freshly made kimchi or the one that has not been fermented for more than three days. They have lots of side dishes (fried fish, anchovies and Korean veggies - usually fermented). I learned how to use chopsticks because there are times that restaurants (usually if not always, is like Japanese style dining - no chairs, just mats on the floor) do not have forks and spoons. If you're like most people, I would suggest their gal-bi tang (rib soup), bul-go-gi (beef meat that is cooked like steak) , and my favorite bi-bim-bop (rice mixed with veggies and the Korean red paste).

If you are like me, who would like to try something different, you can try eating the live octopus (yes, I tried that, and though cut into tiny pieces, still moved in my mouth) and fried insect (choose from their variety of grasshopper, bugs and other flying and crawling insects). Well, with the insects...I was able to chew them, but could not swallow. They would not go past my throat. Guess my mouth isn't used to any of that.

BREAD
What can I say but exceptionally good! Their birthday cakes are amazing. Not too sweet. Inside the birthday box, you can find : candles, confetti, and a small paper horn. You're ready to go and just greet the celebrant with a Korean birthday song:

saeng il chuk ha ham ni da
saeng il chuk ha ham ni da
sarang ha neun --(name) shi
saeng il chuk ha ham ni da

RICE CAKES
If you are like me who likes puto, they have a lot over there. Just stickier and more choices to choose from.

DRINKING MANNER
Whoever is the youngest among you in your table , usuall a man, serves the older men. He holds the pitcher and puts his other hand under the pitcher before pouring into the other man's cup.

SOJU
I thought at first that this was a soda, so I drank it all the way down. Flashback: my stomach began to turn acid, and I want to throw up.
Beware: This is a gin comparable to ours in the Phils.


II. LANGUAGE
Learn how to say a few phrases. Only two percent of their population can understand and speak English when I was there. Probably, it has increased for the past seven years as everybody was trying to learn it then. Be ready to communicate using sign language. Pointing to where you want to go, acting out what you want them to understand might help.

When talking to an older person, you add words like "yo" . In comparison, this is like "po" for the Tagalog people.

Example #1 : Hello
Younger person: An-yong Ha-se-yo
Older person: An-yhong
Phone : Yu-bo se-yo

Example #2 : Sorry, I can only understand a little bit of Korean.

Mi-al ham-ni-da, hang-guk mal cho-kum ar-yo.

Hook on to the link below if you want to learn more phrases
http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/korean.php

Their alphabet characters are different. Do not look for English signs because there is rare to none at all. It is simple to learn by practice, if somebody will teach you.

III. MONEY
During the time when I was there, I usually spend 36,000 won for a week of groceries (mostly food). 100 USD is equivalent to 119-126,000 won depending on how much the exchange rate was. That was way back then. Please refer to the index of money exchange for that.

SHOPPING
Learn where to shop. Most of their malls (LOTTE) like SM, have bigger price tags. Ask around where you can shop for cheaper price. I usually shop in the subway area where there are stalls and small shops. It is comparable to Quiapo and/or Divisoria. If you can explore other places above the subway area (I was afraid sometimes as I easily get lost), go there too. Check out what they have.

IV. BEAUTY PRODUCTS

MAKE-UP
This is where I learned how to use make-up everday. All women in Korea use some sort of a powder on their face. They usually have a facial routine: cleanser, toner, lotion (which I think is a moisturizer) and a lot of other things to put into your face. The local Korean brands that I used were: Mamonde, Laneige, Isa Knox, and Etude in no particular order.

Isa Knox is the most expensive one, but it doesn't assure (and I won't assure you either) that expensive ones are better than cheap products.

As far as I can remember, I like a few of Isa Knox skin care products (toner, face cream/lotion which is eqivalent to a moisturizer); the make-up foundation of Mamonde because it is not cakey and has the closest color to my skin, and a few ones from Laneige, and Etude. I just can't remember what particular products I like the most from each brand.


All the stores that I've been to do not have testers, so if you want to try it, buy it. After buying from them, they give you samples in sachets or small containers.

FOUNDATION
I cannot remember what brand I like the most, but none of them has my foundation shade. I think it is because I am "morena" (golden brown skin tone), and Koreans have yellow fair skin. So I usually end up with having an ashy look. If you have the same skin color like me, Korea isn't the place where you can buy foundation. I found my right color here in the States. However, Korea has a good selection of skin care. Their masks are cheap, too.

SHAMPOOS AND CONDITIONERS
I like all of them! They all smell good to me.


V. KOREAN CULTURE
Sorry to say, but they are not friendly like Filipinos. You smile at them, and they do not smile back at you. They stare at you.

When they cough or sneeeze, there is no etiquette. No covering. Nothing. Sorry and no harm meant to my Korean friends, but I am just telling you (readers) of what I have experienced. So move away or better yet ... run, if you don't want to have their saliva on you.

And before you leave Korea, if you really want to experience not just their food but want to immerse yourself into what is common to Koreans but something different to Western people, try their public bath. I think that only Japan and Korea have "jim-jil-bang" (Korean public bath) where men with other men, and women with other women, can take a bath naked together.
Credits: Lovely blog


At first, I was hesitant to go there, but it is the only place I can go to during winter time where I can sweat. The basics that you can see in a public bath is a TV room where people , young and old alike, of different genders, gather, and can talk. The floor is heated, and people can sleep. After passing through that area, I go to my locker to put my stuff away, and/or go to the bathroom (of the same gender) to take a shower. You do not need to worry if you have forgotten your soap, shampoo and conditioner as these things are usually supplied. After that, you can stay in the "spa" where the temperature is hot enough for you to sweat. Believe me, you'll love the hot temperature inside the spa especially during winter time.

(locker room)

(Big sauna)

Bigger public baths are more expensive because there are more facilities that you can go to in one building (restaurant, movie area, jacuzzi, pool, massage rooms, more choices of spa rooms, more sleeping areas), more things to go around to check, and more things for you to do.

(smaller individualized sauna)

(sleeping area)

If you are from the West, or from the tropics like me, taking a bath naked with a stranger is very unusual. But this is an experience that is uniquely different that you might want to venture in.

Well, that's all that I can remember. Forward to the next blog about Korea town in L.A.